Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hi, Siberia!

Two-thousand miles to go. The flight to Japan has been mostly uninteresting, as, frankly, all flights should be. In other words, no snakes. It does, however, have the requisite crying baby. So far I have watched two movies to pass the time. The first was the Matthew Broderick/Nathan Lane version of The Producers which was well done (and directed by the choreographer, no less). The Producers is one of my favorite musicals (which is saying a lot, as I'm not really a musical kinda guy) but it can be a little long. I thought Uma Thurman was well cast as a tall, big-breasted Swedish woman, but that might just be because I fink she's purty. The second movie I watched was Ice Age: The Meltdown and it was more or less a complete travesty. Here is an open letter I wrote while watching it:
Dear Animation Studios,
Stop making bad animated movies starring celebrities with no voice talent or I will murder you. Also, no more sequels.

Love,
Matty H.
First class (thanks Dad!) is nice mostly because you don't have to step over anyone to get to the bathrooms. The hots nuts were also delicious. Hmm, that sounded bad.

I was able to finish off a couple more of the Pimsleur Japanese Language lessons and I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. I know how to say everything I'll absolutely need to say (Toire wa doko desu ka?) as well as a few things I'll want to say (Bieru ip hong, onegaishimasu!) and some things that I'll probably say to girls when I'm drunk (Watashi no tokoro de nanika nomimasen ka?) so I think I'm covered. Hearing the language spoken by natives will help tremendously. I've always said you can't really learn a language unless you go to the country in which it is spoken. The Pimsleur tapes are pretty great, though. That's all for now.

Good night, and stay vicarious,
~